Collecting and Curating Popular Music Histories
Museums and Popular Culture
Session at Museums Association Conference, Manchester 6th October 2010
Chaired by Marion Leonard, and with participation from museum professionals including Kevin Moore, National Football Museum; Paul Gallagher, Museum of Liverpool; and Paul Lilley, British Music Experience, this session will develop discussion about key considerations in the display of popular culture.
- What are the challenges of trying to ‘capture’ or interpret popular culture?
- Does the static experience of a museum flatten out our experience of more dynamic forms of social practice?
- How can popular culture histories be told in new ways by museums?
- How do museums work with external collectors of popular culture forms?
- What initiatives have been taken to develop related collections?
Music in Action
Friday 13 August 2010
National Conservation Centre, Liverpool
Dr Marion Leonard & Dr Robert Knifton
'Popular Music, Dialogic Collections and the Responsive Museum'
Drawing on their new research, Marion Leonard and Robert Knifton will examine how popular music can infiltrate and influence different functions of the museum.